Making a complaint

If you are unhappy with any aspect of our service, there are several ways you can tell us.

What to include with your complaint

The more information you can give us, the quicker we will be able to reply to you. Where possible, we need to know:

  • the time and date of your journeys
  • the stations you travelled to and from
  • the names of any staff involved
  • copies of your tickets and any other documents that might help

Helping you make a complaint

You can ask a friend, family member, guardian, support worker or carer to make a complaint on your behalf. We'll just need your permission to deal with them. This does not apply if you are the parent or guardian of a child aged 16 or under.

Help for older and disabled customers 

If you need some help, our Assisted Travel team are there for you. They’ll do their best to resolve any issue themselves and, if not, will pass it on. 

Responding to complaints

We aim to respond to all complaints within 5 days of receiving it. Sometimes it can take longer, if we have to investigate what happened for example. For the last 4 week period our average response time for complaints was 6.54 working days.

Not happy with our reply

If you aren’t happy, Transport Focus and London TravelWatch are independent watchdogs set up to help transport users.

London TravelWatch

For routes and stations between Slough and London Paddington.

169 Union Street

Tel: 0203 176 2999
Monday to Friday – 09:30 to 17:00

Transport Focus

For routes or stations other than between Slough and London Paddington.

PO Box 5594
Southend on Sea

Phone: 0300 123 2350
Textphone: 08458 501354
Monday to Friday – 08:00 to 20:00
Saturday and Sunday – 08:00 to 16:00


Online Dispute Resolution

The European Commission’s Online Dispute Resolution (ODR) service offers an alternative for EU residents still unhappy with how their complaint has been dealt with.

However, as we already work with London TravelWatch and Transport Focus; and aren’t obliged to use the ODR service, we only suggest this if you live outside the UK.

If you decide to use the EU’s ODR, you’ll need the following details;

Great Western Railway
Milford House
1 Milford Street
Swindon SN1 1HL


Resolution body: The Consumer Ombudsman

You may also like to...


In some circumstances, you may be able to get a refund on your ticket or season ticket.