Updated February 2023
This Easter, Network Rail will be carrying out a programme of rail upgrades in the Reading and Basingstoke areas.
These works will take place across the full Easter weekend from Friday 7 to Monday 10 April 2023.
Further engineering work is also planned on Sunday 16 and Sunday 23 April, plus Sunday 14 May.
This work is essential to protect the ongoing safety of the route and involves relaying life-expired track, replacing lineside equipment and renewing structures.
This page will guide you through what’s happening, highlighting the services affected and providing clear advice to help you travel as smoothly as possible during this time.
Download a PDF version of this map (PDF, 458 KB).
In addition to the routes shown above, further trains services in the Basingstoke area will be replaced by buses. To find out more visit National Rail.
What it means to our services
- Long-distance trains between London Paddington and Devon/Cornwall will be diverted. Journey times will be extended by around 30 minutes
- No trains will stop at stations between Reading and Westbury/Basingstoke. Replacement buses will run on these routes instead.
- Check carefully before travelling, departure times may be different to normal
- Journey times will be extended so allow plenty of time to arrive at your destination
- If your journey involves a replacement bus, check where the bus will depart from as this may not be next to the station. Use our handy table further down this page.
|Reading – Theale – Thatcham – Newbury – Hungerford – Bedwyn||Hourly (every 2 hours on Sundays)||75 minutes|
|Reading – Newbury (stopping at all stations)||Hourly (every 2 hours on Sundays)||40 minutes|
|Newbury/Hungerford – Kintbury||Hourly (every 2 hours on Sundays)||20 minutes|
|Swindon – Pewsey||Every 2 hours||50 minutes|
|Reading – Basingstoke (non-stop)||Every 2 hours||40 minutes|
|Reading – Mortimer – Bramley – Basingstoke||Hourly||80 minutes|
|Reading – Basingstoke – Winchester (operated by CrossCountry)||Hourly||75 minutes|
|Reading – Basingstoke – Overton – Whitchurch – Andover (operated by South Western Railway)||Hourly (Sunday only)||1 hour 40 minutes|
Travelling from Kintbury?
The level crossing at Kintbury station will be closed to allow Network Rail to carry out improvements. As a result, a shuttle bus will run from Kintbury to Newbury and Hungerford instead.
We are only able to run minibuses on these routes, so capacity may be limited at peak times. Please consider travelling at quieter times or starting your journey at Newbury instead.
Where to catch our replacement buses
Buses will depart from the following locations:
|Station||Bus stop location|
|Aldermaston||Bus stops on Basingstoke Road|
|Bedwyn||Main station entrance|
|Bramley||To Reading – Bus stop outside estate agents
To Basingstoke – Opposite estate agents (unmarked bus stop)
|Hungerford||Station car park|
|Kintbury||Dundas Arms car park|
|Midgham||On Bath Road (A4) at The Angel pub|
|Newbury Racecourse||Bus stops near the station entrance on Hanbridge Road|
|Reading West||To Reading – Oxford Road bus stop under the railway bridge
To Newbury – Oxford Road bus stop outside McDonalds (subject to work completion)
|Swindon||Front of the station|
|Thatcham||Outside station building on Pipers Lane|
|Theale||Station car park|
Have any questions about our replacement buses?
Please visit our Replacement Buses page for all the information you need, including:
- Types of replacement buses we operate
- Travelling with animals, bikes, pushchairs or large items of luggage
- On-board facilities
- Changing between train and bus
Help with your journey
If you are not able to travel on our replacement services, an accessible taxi can be arranged for you. You can do this by:
- booking in advance at GWR.com/PassengerAssist
- speaking to a member of staff at the station on the day of travel*
- use the Help Point available at all of our stations on the day of travel*
*Please allow additional time as an accessible taxi may not be available immediately. Booking in advance is the best way to ensure a smooth journey.