Our touch smartcard is the quick and easy way to store your train tickets.
When you set up a GWR.com account, you’ll be able to see what you’ve bought, re-order tickets, and keep your personal details up to date.
But we think the best thing about our touch smartcard is that it’s reusable. Our touch smartcard can be used with season tickets, London Travelcard, and single and return tickets (on selected routes).
You can get your touch smartcard straight away from any GWR ticket office*. Or, order online for delivery within five business days.
*excluding Camborne, Liskeard, Crowthorne, Mortimor, Bramley, Cholsey, North Camp, Charlbury, Tiverton Parkway, Yeovil Pen Mill, and Yatton.
Buying smartcard tickets
Buy and renew season tickets online seven days in advance and store up to five on your smartcard. You can also add London Travelcards to your smartcard, making it easier for you to tap in and out across the capital.
You can buy single and return tickets at any of our ticket offices using your touch smartcard.
To buy a season ticket for your smartcard:
- tick the ‘ITSO’ option on your search to find tickets to load onto your smartcard
- select the ‘ITSO’ delivery option and choose the station you want to load your ticket onto your smartcard at
- allow at least two hours after you’ve bought your tickets before you load them onto your smartcard at a ticket gate, platform validator, or ticket machine
Don’t forget to link your Nectar card
to collect points every time you buy train tickets online.
You can also buy weekly tickets through the GWR app. And, if you have an Android phone that can make contactless payments, they’ll be ready to load on your touch smartcard straight away.
Getting your smartcard
It’s easy to get your free touch smartcard. All you need to do is simply:
- register for a GWR.com account or login if you already have one
- go to ‘Manage smartcards’ within your account and choose ‘Apply for a smartcard’ from the drop-down menu
- fill out the form and upload a passport-style photo, no more than 5MB
- if you want to pre-load a season train ticket select the 'ITSO' delivery option
- submit your order
Important to know
Touch smartcard terms and conditions.
You should usually receive your free smartcard within five working days.
Travelling with your smartcard
At the station
You can collect your online smartcard tickets 2 hours after booking at your nominated station’s ticket gate or platform validator.
Once it’s loaded, you can travel as normal. You must ‘tap in’ at a ticket gate or platform validator before you board your train.
If you have more than one contactless card in your wallet, make sure you keep them apart when you tap in and out to avoid card clash.
When you arrive at your destination station, simply ‘tap out’ at a ticket gate or platform validator to complete your journey.
Our on-board staff will be using a reader to check you have a valid ticket on your smartcard.
If for some reason your smartcard stops working, login to your GWR.com account to show the train tickets you’ve bought.
If you don’t have a valid ticket, you will have to buy a new one or you could be subject to our Revenue Protection Policy.